Tuesday, May 02, 2006

ENGLISH AS SHE IS SPOKE

Today’s The Hindu carried an article, 'Mangled by the cut-and-paste' culture about the way words have been misused and mis-spelt in English over the internet.
But that is just not just in netsphere, but in real life too.

I have been often amused by helpful sales persons who assure me that a particular toilet soap is available in three different flavours (for fragrance, I guess).
Apart from those mentioned in the article are two common ones, at least and in spite, which are consistently spelt as one word. Up to is another such. Always manages to get my goat.
Some other irritants that come to mind are: called as (as is redundant) and comprises of (of not required)
But a living language is one that develops by assimilating, absorbing and remaining open to change, and that is why I think English has survived. No fanaticism here about using translations for words from some other word/other languages.
Would a soufflé feel just as light if it was merely a baked dish?

http://www.hindu.com/2006/05/02/stories/2006050202022000.htm

1 comment:

Gowri Mohanakrishnan said...

And how about 'Despite of' and 'Though I tried, but I did not succeed' --my pet hates.